3/1/09

getting creative in the kitchen


(this was my dinner. looks good, don't it?)

I'm having so much fun coming up with yummy vegan recipes. Today I made these "burritos". I just made them up as I went along.
 
Whole wheat tortillas fried in coconut oil
Brown rice (I like the short grain)
Red bell pepper, diced
Imitation beef (sounds gross, but it was actually really good)
Avocado
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Ground mustard powder
Organic coconut oil

-Saute red peppers and ground beef together in coconut oil, adding garlic, onion, and ground mustard powders to taste
-Cook rice (I made one cup of rice in my rice cooker. Its serves two)
-Fry whole wheat tortilla's in coconut oil (just enough to cover each side)
-Fry avocado slices in remaining coconut oil, add a pinch of sea salt

Put it all together, top with some salsa, and TA DA! You have yourself a fast, delicious, and HEALTHY meal. 
Like I said, I just made it up as I went along, so you can tweak it however you want. 

Sarah, you asked me how I cut dairy out. Well, I still have it sometimes, but I drink Rice Milk or Almond milk. I hate Soy. And I buy veggie cheese. It's good. I'm not a poop about it, though. I'm not like "Oh, NO, I REFUSE to eat dairy! How dare you even suggest such a thing!" but I have cut WAY back. I just eat a lot of veggies, fruit, whole grains, and I get my protein from sunflower seeds, leafy greens, protein shakes, and legumes. 

Tom has been a great sport about it, but I still buy REAL meat for him. I don't expect him to change his ways just because I have. And he's been really good about trying my recipes. 


2 comments:

Unknown said...

oh my heck, this sounds yummy. and yes, the beef sounds gross. :) i'l just trust you that it was good.

Erin said...

i think you're crazy! i don't know how in the world i'd give up dairy...don't think meat would be as hard. and agree, i'll take your word for it that the imitation beef is good:)

Popular Posts