10/3/12

Featured Artist- Joan Walsh

I came across this book at the thrift store and was smitten with the illustrations. As you know, most of my work is done in pen and ink. It's my medium of choice, and I just love the way it looks. Crosshatching makes my eyeballs happy. I've been wanting to add some color, something subtle, to my drawings and just switching the color of the pen crossed my mind more than few times, but I've been a bit nervous to try it out. When I opened this book I got super excited, because that is exactly what she does. And I. LOVE. IT.
I'm actually using this style in my illustration for Illustration Friday this week.We'll see how it turns out.

Anyways, besides the pen technique, the illustrations themselves are so adorable. I am tempted to tear some of the pages out and frame them, but I can't do it. It's a book from 1959! I would be committing book murder. So I will just add it to my collection of vintage children's books and enjoy the pictures as they were intended: inside the book itself.










No comments:

Popular Posts