5/9/12

on the move

I'm taking a quick, and much needed break from purging. No, not that kind. The get-rid-of-junk-we-never-use-that-is-just-filling-every-corner-of-the-house kind. In a short while we will be making a move to the historic district into a 1915 Bungalow right next to...wait for it....the house my grandmother grew up in. I know, right? I am so beyond excited, I can't even begin to describe my emotions.

(the house my grandma grew up in.)

It's a long story, but to sum it up (kind of) the lady that saved my grandmothers house from being destroyed just bought the house next door, and we are the lucky future tenants of this charming little house. I can't wait. It has been a dream of mine to live in an old house. I have no idea how to say that so it doesn't sound weird. But you know, a historic house, one with original wood flooring and a claw footed tub and a retro blue refrigerator. These are just a few of the charming qualities of this house we will soon call home. Not to mention, Janice, is an incredible woman. Apart from saving my grandmothers house, she was killed by a meth addict 2 years ago. Yes, killed. She was pronounced dead at the scene, and luckily revived. She was sitting at a stop light on her scooter, when a guy high on meth and drunk came screaming around the corner in his truck, running her over. It has completely changed her life, and she is an incredible inspiration.
There is so much more to the story, how she saved my grandmothers house from being destroyed, how she has befriended many of my dads relatives, the day my parents and I went to visit and just look at the outside of the house, but she welcomed us in with open arms and gave us a tour. My dad, (whose mother grew up there), couldn't stop smiling.

As we were swimming in her pool the other day, I kept thinking, "I bet grandma is here with us right now". How cool is it that I get to live right next door to the house my grandma grew up in?
I can't wait to move in. Our "master" bedroom is so small it will really only fit our The house is much smaller and I can't wait to simplify and get rid of things we really don't need. Not to mention that aqua refrigerator.....and that claw footed tub. I see a lot of bubble baths in my future. Marilyn Monroe style.


No comments:

Popular Posts