4/27/09

emergency





It seems like in the last year or so I've had a feeling to get my family prepared for emergencies. (see?)
We have been advised by the church for years to be prepared with 72 hour kits, food storage, etc. for any natural disasters (or man made, for that matter). I read a friends blog tonight (see post below) and it got my heart pumping and my brain racing and I got that urging again, to really get prepared.
So I printed out a bunch of information from this site on 72 hour kits (mine are almost done) a Family Emergency Plan, and an Emergency Binder. I am going to spend the next couple of weeks getting as much as I can together and organized.
I think it would be the absolute worst thing on earth if we were to have a disaster/epidemic happen, and to see my family suffer because we weren't prepared. The very thought makes me sick.

Here are some useful websites:
Food Storage Made Easy (my favorite)
Test your readiness IQ (my score was pathetic)
Pandemic Preparedness Planning
Food Storage

Please family and friends, get yourselves prepared!

"Our Heavenly Father created this beautiful earth, with all its abundance, for our benefit and use. His purpose is to provide for our needs as we walk in faith and obedience. He has lovingly commanded us to “prepare every needful thing” (see D&C 109:8) so that, should adversity come, we can care for ourselves and our neighbors and support bishops as they care for others.

"We encourage members world-wide to prepare for adversity in life by having a basic supply of food and water and some money in savings.

"We ask that you be wise as you store food and water and build your savings. Do not go to extremes; it is not prudent, for example, to go into debt to establish your food storage all at once. With careful planning, you can, over time, establish a home storage supply and a financial reserve."

-The First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints


I am so grateful we have a living prophet who gives us such amazing counsel. I don't know what I'd do without the gospel in my life. It gives me peace that I know I would not have without it.

3 comments:

M said...

I've been working on building my food storage too. This blog has been helpful for me:

http://safelygatheredin.blogspot.com

Amy J. said...

I need to keep up my food storage. I am really good about using up many of the items but not so great about replenishing them! THanks for the reminder!

Anonymous said...

It's helpful to have 72-hour-kits in backpacks in the event an evacuation is necessary. Great job on getting your home in order! It's always so encouraging to see people taking small steps forward. I have a preparedness blog which may be an excellent resource for you on this journey as well: http://preparednesspro.wordpress.com. Best of luck!

Popular Posts