2/24/09

yummers

I talked about this book in an earlier post. I think the title is deceiving. To me, it looked like another diet book about only eating certain times of the day, counting calories, etc. But I heard great reviews about it so I thought I'd give it a shot. I love reading about fitness and nutrition.

The book was actually extremely informative. If you can get past the swear words (those girls have major poo poo mouths) it's a really humorous and honest in-your-face book. 
It describes what people are really eating. The chapters on meat and dairy tell us about harmful chemicals that are fed to the animals that end up in our bodies. (steroids anyone?) It also tells about the abuse the animals go through, and I was pretty disgusted by it. I haven't eaten any meat since I read this book, and barely eat any dairy. Another book I heard about sounds like it has the same idea, but probably skips out on the potty language. It's called "In Defense of Food". I recommend reading one of these books and educating yourself about what we are putting in our bodies. It's eye opening and shocking.

I also purchased this cook book, and have tried two recipes from it so far. The first one I royally screwed up, but the second one (pictured above) was actually really good. Tofu with steamed veggies and brown rice. The sauce was a bit bitter, so we added some soy sauce. I've read a lot of books about nutrition and fitness, but this one has been the only one to really change my thinking. Now I think about it as a way of life, not just a way to get skinny and look good. It's important to take care of our bodies!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you go girl! this is something that i've been really concerned about in the last few years. while i've wanted to read more and be better educated, i've never really gotten thru any books on the subject without getting bored after a few chapters.

we started buying organic produce a while back (we've gotten a little lazy as of late...) but found that they were NOTICEABLY more delicious than the other stuff. worth it!

Popular Posts